//5 Reasons Why You Need The Infernal Devices In Your Life//


I've got a lot of favorite series that I find I don't  talk about as much. One of those series is The Infernal Devices Trilogy, by Cassandra Clare. I adore these books to bits, and because my one goal in life is to ensure that I can get as many people as I can to read my favorite books, I thought that there was no better thing to do than make a post listing reasons why you should read this fantastic series. So without further ado-- FIVE REASONS FOR YOU TO READ THE INFERNAL DEVICES.


1.) It's set in London, England in 1878
 I mean, I don't know about you??? But there's two things I love and that's a.) history and b.) England. The books are fantastic because of the setting; alongside all the fantasy elements there's so many historical facts and locations sprinkled in and it makes my heart so happy. The culture and traditions of the time are implemented into the story-line, and it makes the books feel that much more real and immersive. 

2.) Badass + Empowering Women
Since this series is set in 1878, there's a lot of sexism and general looking down upon of women. But the fantastic thing about The Infernal Devices is that all the women in the books kick ass and fight back (both figuratively and literally) against the sexist expectations put on them. Charlotte Branwell, a lady in her early 20's, runs an institute by herself. It's a high position of power that she was supposed to shirk at, but instead runs tremendously. She holds a position of power, speaks out about what she believes in even when others around her tell her it's not proper, and works tirelessly to ensure the safety of all those under her care.

"Men may be strong, but it is women who endure."

Sophie, a maid, learns to fight and trains to be a shadowhunter, while Cecily takes it upon herself to make sure her brother is alright, and follows him wherever he goes, no matter how dangerous it is. There's also Jessamine, who  doesn't want to fight, and she lets nothing stand in the way of her pursuing her dream of being a high-class lady. There's so many other examples and instances I could discuss-- its truly wonderful how often women in the series break the mold or do what they wish to do, and IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY OKAY. 


3.) William Herondale + James Carstairs
ALSO KNOWN AS: the two most lovable and pure book characters that ever did exist. These two are the epitome of precious cinnamon rolls. Will loves and quotes books, Jem is the nicest character to ever have been written, and the two just have such the sweetest + trusting relationship. They let nothing come between them, and I just can't get over how selfless they are when it comes to each other.

4.) The sass, snark, humor, etc., etc., 
If there's one thing Cassandra Clare's books are known for, it's humor. There's always an abundance of sarcastic one-liners, and snort-worthy banter throughout each of her books, but to me, The Infernal Devices contains some of her funniest and sassiest characters. I'm not typically one to laugh while reading, but with these books I had to pause so many times so that I could stop laughing.

“You don't think I can fight." Tessa said, drawing back and matching his silvery gaze with her own. "Because I'm a girl."  
"I don't think you can fight because you're wearing a wedding dress," said Jem. "For what it's worth, I don't think Will could fight in that dress either."
"Perhaps not," said Will, who had ears like a bat's. "But I would make a radiant bride.”


5.) MAGIC. PRETTY DRESSES. LOVABLE CHARACTERS. MYTHICAL CREATURES. WRITING THAT RIPS YOUR HEART OUT AND LEAVES YOU CRYING. 
Basically just aLL THE THINGS. The series is such a masterpiece, and if you haven't picked it up yet, I implore you to do so. It's such an amazing story, with incredible characters, and, like any good book should, it makes you scream, flail, and feel every emotion. I can't recommend this series enough, I really can't.





And there we have it! Five reasons for you all to run out and grab a copy of these books.
I hope you enjoyed, + that you're having a lovely time, whatever time it may be for you.


Let's chat! Tell me about a favorite series you have that you don't talk about much. How do you like your book humor; sassy, self-deprecating, lots of puns?? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS. 



Comments

  1. Yes!! The Infernal Devices is such a great series and I agree with all the things you said. I loved that it was set in 1878, London. It was so refreshing to see a book set in a different time frame other than present day. And I agree, the women (especially Charlotte) are incredibly bad ass and empowering. I especially liked Tessa who's ideas about females, sexism, etc. develop and change throughout the series/
    Will Herondale and James Carstairs together are one of my favorite book friendships :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shadowhunters. They are my main obsession and I really desperately want to be one. TID is one of my favourite series and omfg it's amazing. If you don't mind, I'll do a TMI version of this. I'll give you credit though! Will herondale though!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. CASSIE IS MY QUEEN!!!!

    (Ps- tagged you for something on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment